~ps2B1.tmpI believe that one of the reasons people “fail” to maintain their weight or keep up with an exercise program is because they place demands on themselves that are unrealistic; demands that they can’t live up to indefinitely. Of course there is a time and a place for a strict routine or diet, but unless you are training for a specific event (like a marathon) or trying to lose weight because of a health issue then I believe that moderation is the answer. It is a great way to set yourself up for long-term success.

So what is moderation? I think the answer is different for everyone, however I choose to adopt my “90/10 Theory on Health.” It is what I do 90% of the time that counts the most. During the other 10% of the time I am going to eat what I feel like and take some rest days from exercise. (Based on this theory, maybe I should have named my business 47 Healthy Weeks instead of 52 Healthy Weeks!)

So with that theory in mind, I am making the case for the recipe I am planning to prepare this weekend. Pumpkin Spice Fudge!!!

For anyone choosing to join me in my “90/10 Theory on Health” here is the recipe.

Note: You need a candy thermometer for this recipe. I didn’t realize this last year so I ended up using a meat thermometer and it worked out fine. Seriously though, you should use a candy thermometer. I am planning to buy one today.

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup (5 fluid ounce can) evaporated milk
1/2 cup pure pumpkin (Libby’s is the brand I use)
3/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 cups Nestle Toll House Premier White Morsels
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  1. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with foil
  2. Combine sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, pumpkin, butter and spice in a medium heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly (very important to keep stirring). Boil, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until your candy thermometer reaches 234 to 240 degrees.
  3. Quickly stir in morsels, marshmallow creme, nuts and vanilla. Stir for 1 minute or until the white chocolate morsels are melted. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand on wire rack in the pan for 2 hours or until completely cooled. Refrigerate tightly covered until you are ready to cut it.

To cut, lift from pan and remove foil. Makes 96 pieces.

Remember, it’s what you do 90% of the time that counts – enjoy!

Leave a Comment

STYLE SWITCHER

Layout Style

Header Style

Accent Color